Distance: 1.0 km
The church is famous for the iconostasis and the pulpit which are crafted by the Tinian marble sculptor Ioannis Halepas, father of Giannoulis Halepas. It is dedicated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary, it was built in 1849 and since 1965 it has been declared as a preserved monument. According to the tradition, at the site of the beach of Mavra Litharia due to a shipwreck, the sea has brought to land a fair amount of timber. Every night, in this place the inhabitants saw a light floating, but when they approached it, it disappeared. In the daylight many people came to this place and picked up timber from the wreck. For this purpose two servants of the families of Benardi and Nicolesa came with their animals. When they started picking woods, Nicolese’s servant found a square wood and with his ax hit it and was ready to hit it again. But when he raised his ax again, his hands could not move. The second servant, watching him with his hands raised, ran to see what was going on. Full of fear, he picks up the bizarre piece of wood and notices that it a picture of the Virgin Mary. Immediately they transferred the icon to the temple of Agios Athanasios of Kimi. At night, miraculously, the icon of Virgin Mary’ left’ the church of St. Athanasius and ‘came’ to the place where the temple is built today.